Friday, May 27, 2011

Sad News That No One Back Home Can Relate To.....

I am sitting in the Hong Kong airport waiting for my LA flight.  At the beginning of the trip, there were two groups using the guide service.  The first was the climbers and the second was the trekkers.  Each group had their own guides.  The head guide for the trekkers was a sweet kid full of knowledge/information and enthusiasm.  All the trekkers loved her and her zest for life infected us all in a positive way and make the trek into Base Camp more enjoyable than it would have been otherwise. 

After completing her duties as the trek guide on Everest, she moved on to Denali where she was set to guide one of the ten (or so) Alpine Ascents expeditions in Alaska.

This morning, I learned that she had fallen and died somewhere on Denali.  I find myself angered, frustrated and sad.  To learn that someone has died, who I had come to know and who was so full of life, leaves me feeling quite empty inside....it's a hell of think to die so young.....to lose all one has....and to lose all the things one would have had.

A lot of people seem to die prematurely on these mountains I climb.  I'm beginning to think it is time to retire from this hobby of mine.....I am looking forward to getting home.  I've been away too long. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry yo read this. I hope there is some small comfort in knowing she was doing what she loved at the end.
    We are all looking forward to seeing you again on Monday in the office.

    ReplyDelete