Saturday, May 7, 2011

Pulmonary Edema

During the descent from Camp 3 to Camp 2....in fact, very near Camp 2, I realized that I was beginning to experience extreme fatigue...but at the time just assumed that I was tired from the activity of the past few days.  In fact, I experienced a normal night at Camp 2.

The next day we descended all the way back to Base Camp and again I moved through the Khumbu ice fall at a pace that was slower than the rest of the group....although I did not feel overly tired.  However, that night as I laid in my tent finishing up the second book of the "Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" series, I notice a gurgling sound in my lungs for the first time.  I correctly assumed that this development was not a good one.

The next day at Base Camp was a scheduled rest day, so I went to the Base Camp Doctors and was diagnosed with HAPE (i.e., high altitude pulmonary edima).  The result was the beginning of a five day treatment with Nifedrin (sp?), a drug designed to address this development and which I had brought myself in anticipation of this possibility. 

However, the following day we began our descent to Debuche (i.e., 12,500) for rest and recovery.  The route is not all down hill, and has many inclines that needed traversing.  I was stunned by the extreme fatigue I encountered any time I had to climb up.  I was simply not prepared for the diffculty of maneuvering at high altitude with the equivalent of only one lung.  This was the first time that I began thinking about the possbility of not having a summit day.  In fact, I was so tired at times that I began thinking that I may not be able to return to Base Camp....after all, the return trip would be mostly uphill.  Fortunately, as the day wore on, the drugs appeared to kick in, and the route consolidated into a downward direction, I began feeling a bit better.  Currently, I believe I should be able to return to Base Camp, at a minimum.

Although my case of HAPE is certainly not life threatening, it certainly has reduced the chances of a personal summit bid.  Consequently, I have become very disappointed and anxious about the upcoming next few weeks.   After extensive reflection, I believe the following scenarios are the most likely...with most leading to a result that does not put me on top of Everest:

1.  The fluid in my lungs dry up as a result of descending from Base Camp (i.e., 17,500 feet) to where I am now (i.e., 12,500 feet), in combination with the medication I am taking.  If the HAPE disappears, then I will likely return to Base Camp and leave on the Summit Rotation with the rest of the group.  If this scenario takes place, I will be taking medication to prevent the return of the HAPE, and if it works in combination with the oxygen we will be using at Camp 3 and above, there is a good chance I could have a legitimate summit attempt....all assuming that the HAPE clears up and that there is no short term lung damage that would interfere with the resumption of the climb.  I AM GOING WITH THIS SCENARIO.  VOTE FOR THIS OPTION.

2.  I could get back to Base Camp, visit with the doctors, and discover that the HAPE has not cleared up.  If this happens, and the doctors do not believe it would be safe for me to ascend above base camp, the guides will not include me in the summit team.

3.  Same as two, except that the doctors might conclude that, despite lingering fluid in my lungs, that it would be relatively safe for me to make a summit attempt, in combination with additional medication to prevent the HAPE from getting any worse.  In this case, the guides would allow me to leave Base Camp.  However, even if I were allowed to begin the summit rotation under this scenario, I fear that I would be climbing with a disadvantage....remembering how I felt when trying to climb with the equivalent of something less than two fully operational lungs....and remembering just how difficult it was to simply get to Camp 3 without oxygen.

I believe these are the three main scenarios that I may encounter.  In the end, and as I write this portion of the blog, I realize that it is now more likely that I will not reach the top of Everest, than the odds of actually summitting successfully. 

Currently, I feel fine, am extremely hungry (i.e., and eating well) and am resting up to face the next  few weeks.  I remain optimistic and will see what the immediate future holds regarding the goal of summitting. 

More later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment