Monday, May 9, 2011

Pulmonary Edema Update

Today, we began our return to Everest Base Camp and trekked from Debuche to Pheriche where I was able to see one of the Doctors staffing the clinic.  The Doc listened to my lungs and concluded that the HAPE (i.e., High Altitude Pulmonary Edema) had cleared up and that my lungs were free of all liquid.  This was a favorable development.  Assuming the HAPE does not return, this means I will most likely leave Base Camp with the rest of the clients when the Summit Rotation begins.  I do not intend to take any additional medication until we leave for the Summit Rotation which will ultimately be determined by the weather and corresponding weather forecasts. 

During the trek today, I felt strong and did not experience the debilitating fatigue from a few days ago....which makes sense since the HAPE appears to have cleared up.  Right now, I have a seven day supply of medication that I will begin taking the day we leave on the Summit Rotation in an effort to prevent the HAPE from returning while going for the summit.  My biggest fear right now is an unknown.  Having come down with HAPE once, I have no idea if it will return while I am hanging out in Base Camp waiting for a good weather window.   Hopefully, it will not return and the medication I begin taking at the outset of the Summit Rotation will keep it from returning as we attempt our summit bid. 

In summary, a good medical update.  I am encouraged and will update the blog on my medical condition as it develops.   For now, we are all starting to focus on what it will take to get ourselves into a position for a solid summit attempt.  MORE LATER. 

No comments:

Post a Comment