Thursday, February 10, 2011

Training: Feb. 5&6, 2011

Climbed Mt. Baldy again back to back on Saturday and Sunday....this time with 15 pounds of excess water which I dumped at the top on Sat. and carried back down on Sun.  I ran into an attorney from Latham and Watkins who claimed he specialized in soft Intellectual Property matters....a competitor.  With the extra weight I was carrying, he was going a bit fast...so I told him about the training water weight and let him go on ahead.  After about five minutes, I decided to increase my pace...caught and passed him and smoked him to the top.  Competitors provide extra incentive.

On Sunday, I was tired and sore from the day before.  My calves were particularly sensitive, and are the first muscle to blow out when climbing on steep snowy inclines.  I suspect climbing tired and sore is good preparation....but I found it more annoying than inspirational.  No racing others on Sunday, just a quick pace...although two climbers in their early twenties passed me on the way up....I was annoyed....not so much at being past, but because they were in their early twenties.

1 comment:

  1. I'm wondering if there is a patisserie at base camp?Summit? Always a credible incentive to carry-on through ice, snowpack and formidable inclines. Good luck with your training. Gary Gleason

    ReplyDelete